We have 62 children ranging in age from 8-18 years in residential treatment at The Children's Home. Most are victims of abuse and neglect which has resulted in emotional, medical, and behavioral problems. These children stay at the Home for an average of 9-14 months. The Learning Center school at the Home provides special education services to residential youth as well as children from the community. Children in our school also receive Vocational Education and computer instruction. The Family Treatment Center provides out-patient family and child therapy, the only one in the state that provides in-home therapy. Our Training Academy hosts Pastoral Breakfasts aimed at providing pastors and lay readers with up to date information about mental health issues facing families. Girls' group homes assist girls ages 14-21 in returning from out of state placements by The Department of Children and Families, and re-engages them with their families.
The Mission of ?delbrook The Children's Home is to provide comprehensive and individualized therapeutic treatment and education for emotionally disturbed and behaviorally disordered children and their families throughout Connecticut by: providing children with a safe place to grow and learn; creatively responding to the changing needs of their families; and partnering with communities to provide hope for those in need. We will do this in a supportive and nurturing Christian environment. In 1900, The Children's Home opened as The Swedish Christian Orphanage aiding children whose parents died during immigrating to the U.S. It was first a home and working farm, then by 1968 the Board recognized the wisdom of moving from an orphanage care model to a professional residential treatment model. Soon after, an on-site school was added to residential treatment and then educational services became available to day students from surrounding communities in 1993. By 1997 an expanded Vocational Education service and computer laboratory was added. In Spring 2005 the first group home for girls opened in Cromwell, and was later joined by two additional homes in Middletown and North Haven.