SUMMARY OF WORK
The United Way Reader Volunteer Leader will take responsibility for one United Way Readers school site to ensure the program is effective for students, volunteer readers, and school site coordinators. The estimated commitment is 2 to 3 hours/week through the fall and spring school semesters.
Primary Work Includes:
Program Management: Communicate regularly with the site and United Way to assure that the United Way Readers program is being run effectively.
- Identify resources needed to support United Way Readers (such as books and materials);
- Help the site staff identify volunteer days and timeslots and schedule orientation prior to the close of each session;
- Attend regular meetings (4 to 8 per year) with other Site Lead Volunteers and United Way staff;
- Return book collections to United Way at the close of each semester and return them to the school at the beginning of each semester.
Volunteer Coordination: Develop a friendly working relationship with United Way Reader volunteers to ensure that they have a meaningful experience.
- Participate in volunteer orientation and training sessions;
- Be present during program sessions to greet volunteers, track attendance, observe and thank volunteers;
- Promptly respond to volunteers requests and questions;
- Work with site staff and United Way to recognize volunteers’ work;
- Encourage volunteer retention by listening to volunteer’s suggestions and concerns as well as determining if they will continue in the upcoming session.
Helpful Prior Experience and Abilities:
United Way will provide on-going support to Volunteer Leaders, but experience as a volunteer or managing volunteers would be helpful. Leaders will rely on good communication and people skills to help ensure a quality experience for students, volunteer, and partners.
For more information contact: Patrick Doyle at 860-493-6832 or firstname.lastname@example.org